Monday, January 25, 2010

Honeymoon - Africa, Tunisia (Tunis)


Cody was so excited to go to Tunisia, but after reading some cruiser generated reviews, he decided it wouldn't even be worth it to disembark. I was ok with spending the day onboard if Tunisia was as lack luster as was written. We slept in and I went to our balcony to at least see Africa before we had to leave it (we had an early departure, 1 pm), but once I saw the aqua clear water and the beach I raced to get ready and explore as much of Tunis as time permitted. I have no research for you: no structure names, no museums, no palaces, and no history. I only have pictures of the culture and atmosphere we enjoyed. The day was lovely (I was hot in my thin long layered shirt).

Here is the beach and water that lurred me out.


Here is the wonderful thing about Tunis - White and Blue. Most every building was white with blue trim. I took sooooo many pictures of the colors - here are just a few.


I loved this canal. The fishing boats had so many different colors. I wish I had photographed some cute little kids playing outside. They were snacking on hard boiled eggs.


Here is a little flavor of the town. There were red flags and political agenda photos everywhere. There were small shops along the main drag and we were able to have a small tin plate personalized for us (we are turning it into a Christmas ornament


Our port was so lively when we returned. People were paying for camel rides. People were playing music. Some crazy teenager decided to buy traditional robes and drums in town and was telling other cruisers in port, "Five euro for a picture - ten for a song." He thought he was so funny. He really wasn't so funny until he sat down with the Tunis musicians and started jamming with them on his newly purchased drum. He sort of blended in with the locals.


We made it to the ship just in time. We left Africa happy with the visit. We chilled from our balcony and watched the ship leave port. Excuse the picture of us in our robes, but hey - it's our honeymoon and I make no apologies. We enjoyed the boat - ate a late lunch, went to an earlier show, took a nap, went to the hot tub, and did our nightly routine of dinner and listening to music. What a great day!

1 comment: