Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Honeymoon - The End :(

Our cruise ended back in Barcelona and we were scheduled to disembark at 8am. We didn't until 9:30ish. We weren't supposed to get breakfast that morning because it wasn't included. We did and enjoyed the buffet one last time. We soaked everything we could out of our cruise and really got our money's worth. Our only money saving task left was trying to get to our next hotel with all our luggage. Our hotel was right next to the airport and a bus ride from the port to the airport was 60 euros total. We didn't want to spend close to $120 just to go to the airport. We decided to bargain with a taxi driver and get a cheaper fair, but as we walked toward the taxi area we realized that the taxis were set at a fixed (high) rate. We thought we were sunk, but we scored when we asked a cruise director where the bus leaving for the airport was parked, and after telling him we didn't have tickets, he let us ride the bus free of charge. WE FELT SO SLICK!! In this honeymoon where we "beat the system" by doing our explorations on our own, walking to locations instead of paying for taxis, and taking lunch-to-go from our free breakfast buffets instead of dining out, we kept on being resourceful and smart till the very end.

Here is a picture of Cody giving me a "thumbs up" on our free bus ride. Once we got to the airport - our hotel had a free shuttle which picked us up and took us to our room.


Cody felt so sick this last day in Barcelona. We got to our hotel room at about noon and Cody crashed. He had no energy to go back into the city and explore. He encouraged me to take the bus and go back to see the Magic Fountain do its thing (it was Friday after all) and go enjoy the city, but I didn't feel comfortable with his suggestion. How could I leave my husband, while he was sick, on our honeymoon? So this was a very slow day for me. I went on the hotel computer, went shopping at the mall next to our hotel (and bought a scarf). I went to Spain's equivalent of Home Depot, REI, Best Buy, and Toys R Us - all of which were within walking distance from our hotel. I went back to the room and took Cody to the Walmart equivalent to get some food and medicine.

One thing I really don't understand about Spain is their pharmacies and convenient stores. They are everywhere in the city. The pharmacies have a very noticeable and recognizable sign. The confusing thing about these pharmacies though, is that they are not pharmacies. They mainly sell expensive lotions and few, if any, "over the counter" medications. The convenient stores don't sell lotions or aspirin. It seems so backwards. I guess you have to get prescription drugs at a doctor's office.

So, Cody and I went to Spain's type of Walmart for simple cold medication. DENIED! They don't sell cold medication at a Walmart equivalent?! They don't even have aspirin. They have clothes, food, home goods, you name it - but to get simple cold medication..."you will have to go to the pharmacy" which is miles and miles away. So much for the white coated ladies in the pharmacy section of Spain's Walmart. You didn't help even though you looked like you could. We gave up. Cody was just going to have to feel crappy. We did buy some Spanish candy, cookies, and some beverages and went back to our room to watch some CNN (in Spanish). Luckily (but horrifically) there was some news from back home so I could understand some of it (a shooting in Miami in the wake of the shooting at Ft Hood earlier in the week). The newscasters were mainly discussing gun control. Oh, and a pirate issue with some captured Spaniards was all over the news as well. Without this current "criminal" news - I would have died with political or economic news.

Anyway. Here are pictures of our hotel. It was quite nice with a free breakfast buffet.








Later on that night, I had to go to McDonald's and get us dinner. What a disaster. I don't speak anything but simple English and no worker at McDonald's spoke anything but Spanish. This was a recipe for disaster! I was nervous to order due to the language barrier and because it was busy and the last thing I wanted to look like was a stupid American. I ended up communicating my order by pointing to a picture and giving a quantity with my fingers. So embarrassing. There is no way I passed for a smart American. That's for sure.

The next morning, we ate at the hotel buffet and made our way to the airport. Cody made some friends in the airport because were in line for so long! To make matters worse, the airport personnel directed us to the wrong line. Those wasted 30 minutes let us make some friends we will never see again. Given we received misinformation, the airport experience was a bit frazzled, but once we were on the plane it was smooth flying. We flew Air France and had endless movies, real croissants and chocolate as snacks, and some interesting french meals. As we were landing in LA, I was sad to be ending my honeymoon, but excited to start nesting with my very own husband.


Thanks for the honeymoon babe. It was the best. You are the best. I couldn't have planned a better way to start off our marriage if I had tried (not that you gave me an opportunity to try).

No comments:

Post a Comment