Thursday, February 25, 2010

Engagement Party and Bridal Showers...

Cody and I had an engagement party thrown by my mother on September 12th, 2009. Any of you who know my mother, knows she is over the top (sharing too much information, or with giving lessons, or with throwing parties). Any of you who don't know my mother, think of me and how over the top I am with these long posts and then think of where I must have come from. My mother and I both have a tendency to be very specific and detailed. BUT, these tendencies make for some great parties, with so much attention put into the food and decor. My mother displayed my registered china, engagement photos of Cody and me, and even used our engagement photo strip as part of the invitation. The engagement party was such a success because it was a fun night, because the food was delicious, and because we all got to practice for the big day. My sister (MOH) and Derek (BM) had an opportunity to practice their toasts in front of a smaller crowd (which they were thrilled about (sarcasm)) and we had a chance to practice "cutting the cake" together.


I had three lovely bridal showers before our wedding because I'm such a lucky girl. The first one was an intimate, luncheon, family shower at Santa Ana Country Club where Cody and I had our reception a couple of months after the shower. The table was decorated with presents, everyone was able to order what they wanted, and it was soooo nice to have the shower indoors because the day of the shower was stinkin' hot! My Aunt Candy makes the best bows and that made for a great "practice" bouquet.

My second bridal shower was a fun night with my girlfriends at M.E. Clayton's house. My friend Shaunna helped out all the way from Boston by doing the invitations. Diana, Ali, Lori, and M.E. handled the rest. I have such great friends who went all out on my shower! Cody answered questions about me and I answered questions about him and we played the guessing game to see how acurrate I could be. I got a lot of naughty gifts and we had some good laughs at my uncharacteristicly shy reactions to them. Thank goodness I didn't get a Condom Revolution sex bucket like some other brides-to-be. I would have died and looked like a tomato due to embarrassment. My naughty gifts were actually very classy and tastful - well, you know what I mean (hint: no leather or high heels with fur).

The last shower was given to me by my mother's friends and was at the lovely Day home. The decor was AMAZING as was Sister Day's food. I got a Kitchen Aide mixer as the group gift and I was so excited! All in all, I was a spoiled girl!

I felt so loved by all these parties in my honor. My hand however felt very cramped from having to write so many thank you notes. I actually had the balls to complain to a friend about the amount of notes I had to write. She couldn't understand - in exchange for getting so many wonderful gifts you have to write a quick thank you note and this is upsetting because your hand gets cramped? Just take a break Robin and suck it up!!! I was being spoiled. I'm never such a brat. I must have been having a bridezilla moment.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the engagment, and the bridal parties. They look like they were fun.

    ReplyDelete