Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Wedding Day - The Ring Ceremony



Since family and friends couldn't see our sealing ceremony in the temple, Cody and I decided to exchange our wedding rings at the beginning of our reception. We also thought a ring ceremony would be good at our reception because we didn't have a receiving line. People have their opinions in favor of lines and people have their complaints about lines. It's very true that receiving lines let you address your guests, everyone, individually. Which is great, really nice, and very appropriate.

But, my mother and I decided not to have one at my reception. A receiving line would have held up my dinner reception and often seems more appropriate for a calling reception. Not to mention that I personally, when a guest at another reception, find meeting family and wedding party of my friend's spouse awkward. I really only want to say hello to my newly married friend and spouse and will find them at the reception when there is no receiving line (which I usually ditch if there is). Plus my Mother-in-law would have died (she's shy) and so would have my mother (she has plantar faschiitis).

Our ring ceremony was a vehicle for Cody and I to include our guests in the tradition of exchanging rings, address every guest, thank them for coming, and let them know how in love and happy we were. Cody and I spoke during this ring exchange and didn't have anyone officiating to make it more intimate and personal.

The way it worked is that I thanked people for coming, told everyone how happy I was to be in love with and married to Cody. Cody spoke and did the same. Then our ring bearrers (my nephews) and flower girls (Cody's young nieces) brought up bird nests which had our rings. My mom made these nests.
We exchanged rings, kissed, and thanked the heavens this portion of our day was over!

We were so nervous to speak to everyone at the reception! I had sweaty pits over the whole thing. When the time came, I was lost. I just didn't know how to articulate my feelings of love and happiness. It was almost like there weren't words created in the English language to describe the intensity and depth of my emotions, but then Cody spoke and I realized how one goes about speaking on such things. He was so thoughtful, sound, and he really spoke from his heart.

Umm - Hello! How cute are these munchins?!



THE NERVES!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!


At least I get a wedding band out of these nerves!



This is us after the ceremony. We are thinking, "We are so happy...It's OVER!!!"


And my father thanked everyone for coming as well (after the ring ceremony).

No comments:

Post a Comment