Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Wedding Day - The Flowers


I love, love, love flowers. And as a result, I was willing to spend more money on flowers at the expense of cutting costs elsewhere for my wedding (like not having a videographer, who my mother hired anyway). I found my florist online. She does arrangements out of her garage. Not a floral shop. But I loved her work and decided on going with her.

Cody only had one request with the wedding decor - absolutely NO YELLOW. I don't know why. I think he had just been to too many weddings with the color yellow. I think yellow is pretty, especially in summer weddings, but was game to follow his one request. My only request was that the flowers not be orange. With the bridesmaids wearing black and Halloween being one week after my wedding, I didn't want my reception to feel like a trick-or-treat fest.

As you can see, the question, "What are your colors?" in relation to our wedding was a hard question to answer. I started off by saying black and ivory, because that is what a lot of the decor was, but that wasn't really representative since the flowers, as you can see, were quite colorful. I ended up saying, "everything but orange and yellow."

My wedding had a bird theme. Because it worked, but mainly because my name is Robin and it pleased my mother so, so much. So the centerpieces had birdcages, the assignment table had a large birdcage as well, all decorated with flowers. Luckily, we didn't have live birds in the cages as my mother had hoped for. Can you imagine being at an elegant reception and out of nowhere, "tweet, tweet, poop, splat."

We did end up putting a fake bird in the cages though. Fake birds are much less germy, poopy, and noisy.

Here are the flowers:






My Bouquet - Ivory and Black to match the wedding party.




I ended up using garden roses, pompon mums, hydrangeas, dahlia's,chrysanthemums, curly willow, anemone, ranunculus (my favorite). I wish we could have had peonies, but they weren't in season. We also had some grapes and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment