Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Arkansas - here we come!

If you told me 2 years ago that I would be married and moving to Arkansas I would have told you to get your head examined because you were talking crazy talk. I would have said, "I'm not going to marry a man if he is going to drag me to Arkansas!." I would have said this because growing up in California, Arkansas was the state that was the catch all for insults. People would say, "yeah, if you lived in Arkansas" or "only in Arkansas will you find ______." When we were dating and I felt comfortable with Cody I asked him which state Arkansas uses as the catch all for insults and he said, "Oh, Mississippi," like it was obvious.

But here I am, moving to Arkansas with anxiety, nerves, but excitement too. I went to visit my future home in December and my hesitation about the move vanished. Turns out all the insults about Arkansas (inbreeding, red neck stuff) are way too much.

In the past year, I've had so many life changes. Now I'm relocating to a foreign state and town. Arkansas is home for Cody, but to me it is a big step of faith. I have faith in Cody and his new business venture. I have faith in myself that I'll be able to adjust and make nice with my new life as an Arkansan. I have faith in God that he will guide both of us along our journey to the South.

Truth is I hate change. To illustrate, let me divulge that I've had the same shower routine for as long as I can remember. I wash my face last and the only reason I wash my face last in the shower is because I'd have to do things differently if I washed it first. Usually, the reason I do things the way I do is because that's how I've always done it, it works, and to do whatever it is differently would require change. Getting married is enough change for anyone in a years time. I'm living somewhere new, I have a new name, I worship with a new congregation of strangers, what's mine is not mine anymore but ours, and my special pillow is now my Love's special pillow and now me and my special pillow are a thing of the past. I love being married and we've had a "couldn't be better" 4 months, but change is change, blissful or not, and it takes a lot out of me.

So - with nerves and anxiety I take upon myself this new change, this move. It will be an adventure, and although I'm not very adventurous, I'm on board. I couldn't think of any other person I'd rather experience this adventure with than Cody. For those of you that don't know, we are moving to Arkansas to start up a business and plan to return back to California in roughly 6 months time. We already have an apartment in Arkansas. We've got our storage unit in California (we are going without our furniture). I can't believe I've signed up to live on garage sale furniture for the next 6 months! I wonder what other surprises my life will bring? Hopefully, a 6 month stay in London - or Barcelona - or maybe winning the HGTV dream home give away I've entered to win. I'd love those surprises!

2 comments:

  1. Why is everyone always hating on Arkansas? Yeah, there are some hillbillies there, but that's in the hills. There are hillbillies in every set of hills across America! Brock teases me because I get so excited any time anyone talks about Arkansas and I get offended if anyone talks bad about it. I can't help it, I love my state! I'm so excited that you guys are moving there! I mean, we'll probably only be there once during your 6 month stay, but I'm still excited. You'll be fine. Everyone will be really nice to you. And you'll get to go back home in 6 months. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I never get to go home. I'm actually getting a little jealous now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you for taking such a big leap of faith! I think you are going to have such a great time taking this adventure. I will miss you terribly, but if you end up staying there longer... I am determined to visit you in the South with my little Jim Bob!!!

    ReplyDelete