Sunday, July 17, 2011

What's in a name?

Deciding on our first born's name wasn't the easiest process. For starters, Cody suggested nasty crazy names (like the worst names you can think of, and I would list them, but I don't dare for fear of offending someone). And I, on the other hand, loved many, many names. We narrowed my list down to three names, but it wasn't until she was born that I looked at Cody and said, "and the name is?"

He responded with Alivia Pearl Orvin. And I couldn't have been happier with our final choice. I've liked the name Alivia since middle school, when I was introduced to it after meeting a pretentious girl with that name and spelling while vacationing in Hawaii. I couldn't tell you why, but the name has stuck with me ever since. Olivia would have looked better with Orvin, as I'm sure you've figured, but I like Alivia better. I just think a-livia sounds more feminine than o-livia (even though most people pronounce Olivia like it's spelt with an A). Plus, Orvin won't always be Alivia's last name (I hope). And I like the nickname Ali...as an option if she so chooses.

Pearl was Cody's grandma's name...not to mention June's birthstone. And Alivia was born in June. And I LOVE jewelry, especially classy pearls. And I love family. And Cody LOVED his grandma Pearl. The icing on the cake was religious references to pearls being of great worth. And the cherry on top of the icing was that Pearls come from nature...which kind of carries on the tradition of mine and my sister's names (Brooke and Robin). So Pearl was a perfect fit for us.


Our baby girl is sometimes called...

Alivia (of course)

Ali Pearl

Livy

Mama, Sissy, Baby Girl, Love or Woman

or...when we are tired, Caroline (the name of my niece)

when she is fussy, stinker.

or Cody calls her Bonquisha or Bony (because he's a weirdo)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Our baby girl is strong. The doctor in the hospital and in her follow-up appointment said she was and told her to stop showing off when she stood up and pushed him away during her week old examination.

She is a good sleeper. Cody says she gets it from me, but she sleeps for long stretches at night - like a 6 hour stretch and then a 5 hour stretch - and truth be told we usually wake her up to feed.

She stretches like crazy. Waking up is followed by a good 5 minutes of stretching (arching her back, extending her limbs, and grunting). It's adorable. Really.

She hates my boob. She is getting breast milk, but will only take it from a bottle. We still try to make her latch, but the second she does, she instantly starts making a sour face and then starts crying and breaks her latch. She pushes me away with her arms. And frankly, between you and me, I take it personally. If I remain adamant, she will just spit out my boob and instantly falls asleep. I think she is faking it...playing dead if you will...but all her tricks work and in the end she gets the bottle.

And that's it. I mean, Alivia's basically a typical newborn, but she's pretty extraordinary to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment