Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Heart


Happy Valentine's Day! Before I tell you all that I'm the luckiest wife, and that Cody is the best of husbands, let me share a few love quotes.

I just finished "Love the One You're With" by Emily Giffin. It's an entertaining and indulgent read, but the overall message of love is true. The main character runs into an old boyfriend and for a period of a year is torn between old, resurfaced feelings and her commitment and confusion about her current marriage. Just when you think the novel glorifies cheating behavior (as some of Emily's past novels), it surprises you with the most basic of love definitions: love as a choice, love as a commitment. Basic stuff that too many headed for divorce forget.

"...maybe that's what it all comes down to. Love, not as a surge of passion, but as a choice to commit to something, someone, no matter what obstacles or temptations stand in the way. And maybe making that choice, again and again, day in and day out, year after year, says more about love than never having a choice to make at all."

Luckily for me committed love involves surges of passion (insert your rolling eyes and vomit here), but as the author points out, love is so much more...and if given a choice, ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE again and again.



The second quote for the day is stolen from my friend, Frances' blog. It's true, and spiritually uplifting. And by President Monson no less.

"I consider charity-- or "the pure love of Christ"-- to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper. Tonight, however, I have in mind the kind of charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient towards their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.

I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.

There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere."



Lastly, I'd like to quote Mother Teresa,

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."

And let me just say, Valentine's Day has become more than a day where I ponder the romantic tales found in movies...it has become more than pondering the loves in my life...my family, my talents and passions, my idealistic dreams. It has become a day where I recognize love in all it's forms and give gratitude for my blessings, none the least of which is my Cody, my Valentine times three years...three wonderful years.

No comments:

Post a Comment